February 2, 2023
Your child’s smile is a source of pride and joy for both of you, meaning that you should make every effort to ensure that your little one’s pearly whites look and feel their absolute best. But this isn’t always easy, since children don’t always have the knowledge or means to maintain optimal oral health. Luckily, you can help! Here’s more from your pediatric dentist about why their oral health matters, along with some helpful oral hygiene products that are certain to simplify things.
Why Your Child’s Oral Health Matters
In short, your child’s oral health matters greatly from a very early age; by establishing not just optimal oral health but also smart hygiene habits early on, your child can set their smile up for long-lasting health and success. Even though their mouths are smaller and filled with baby teeth for the first part of their life, children are still very susceptible to the same kinds of oral health issues that commonly affect adults, including tooth decay and gum disease. If oral hygiene is neglected early on, needless to say, it stacks the deck against your kid as they grow older and start to encounter more frequent issues.
Helpful Oral Hygiene Products for Children
Fortunately, there are all sorts of items on the market that are widely accessible and proven to assist children with maintaining great oral health. Here are a few ideas to consider:
- Electric toothbrushes – Power brushes exist for patients of all ages, and they are proven to be more effective than manual brushes when it comes to removing plaque.
- Water flossers – Another option that both kids and adults alike can utilize, oral irrigators use a pressurized stream of water to gently remove plaque more effectively than traditional dental floss.
- BrushyBall – If your child needs a little extra guidance on how to brush properly, a follow-the-leader game like BrushyBall can help! This small little device is cute, colorful, and can provide audible instructions that’ll teach your kid how to clean their smile on their own.
- GumChucks – If traditional dental floss doesn’t suit your child, you might look into something that’ll make the habit not only easier but also more exciting. GumChucks are essentially miniature nun chucks that are fun to use and can also teach kids the importance of flossing regularly.
- Xylitol for kids – Xylitol is a sweetener that helps to prevent cavities and can be found in all kinds of sugar-free gums, mints, and candies.
Your little one’s smile is a source of pride and joy not only for them but also for you! By knowing how to help them care for their smile and providing them with the means to do so, you’re setting them up for a lifetime of excellent oral health and happiness.
About the Practice
Dr. Thomas Youngblood and his skilled team at Midland Kid’s Dentist are thrilled to serve the dental needs of families in the Midland, TX community. The practice is pleased to offer a wide range of pediatric dental services. If you have any questions about the article or would like to schedule a visit for your little one, you can contact the practice online or over the phone for additional assistance: (432) 520-5437.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.